AGONY OF AN ABORTED BABY
SAYING I WISH TO BE LIKE YOU

I wish to be like you, yes! Like you over there
I wish to be like you, sitting with my sown school uniform and a laced shoe and their colors in fashioned uniform
I wish to say tata, baba, mama to the ones that houses me at the onset of my days but ALAS! NO, the landlord says “here! YOU have no face”

I wish to carry my school bag and waved my tender hands as I climb the school bus filled with the cheers of welcoming lads
I wish to sit among peers to eat pears and pierce the note papers with my playful pen
I wish to cry and be patted, talk and be applauded, write and be gifted, play and be credited
I wish to take the bull by the horn and sing ABC into the space of a cow’s horn

I wish to be one of the prefect of my destined school, with pride walking around with my sweater made of wool
I wish to recite the National Anthem “Arise O’ Compatriot” and as one of the future glories, learn to live like what I wished to be, a patriot
I wish to be like you, free like a nekton not like me roaming the walls of houses only my words to be spoken by this poet
I wish to be like you, I wish to be like you, I wish to be like you!!!!!!! (Cries)

Our journey started in same manner. I won the race among trillion faces, me with my mace as we rush into this fluid case
Yeah! I fought and I won…… it was a huge jubilation galore, and mum felt my joy in her galloon
But that night, her heartbeat read fright and she concluded something in her heart that costed her so much might

The next morning I woke up hearing a strange voice, a rough voice, a thick voice, a voice that speaks not for the voiceless, a wicked voice
Saying “Are you ready for this, MADAM?” I wondered what he was talking about but I felt a drop of tears landing on me from Mama’s heart
A question thrown to Mama, I wished Mama had shook her head, carry her bag and leave saying “let him stay”
But at a tender age of few days, I knew heartbreak when Mama replied “Yes, I am”. These three words shattered everything I could ever wonder

Mama!!!! this is not it, I want to touch your beautiful face. Mother! tell him to stop, I want you to rub a cream over my beautiful face
Mama I want to wrap my warm hand round your finger, Mama! I want to call you Mummy, Mama! I want to be called baby, Mama!!! NO!!! I LOVE YOU

I fought the tube with my legs and hands. Instead of mama to save me from the battle, she rather chose to clinch in pains her hands
Mama save me! My legs are gone, my hands are gone, my heartbeat is decreasing and the chance of losing me is increasing
I tried, I tried, and I tried!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I wasn’t up to the task, and with a dream that would world the world of worlds, I gave up and died without the world hearing my words

Mama hated me so much that she said “Thank You Doctor for removing this thing out of me” never thinking of the unquantifiable pain I experienced before giving up to the struggle
I wish my mother was merciful like yours, and call me with names like, Omolade, Omolewa, Aduke, Ajao, Alade, Omoniyi or names same as yours

But NO! I wasn’t given the chance to use this chance to create a huge chance for those who seek chance in this world of chances
I wasn’t given the opportunity to create opportunities for those who seek opportunities in this world of opportunities
I wasn’t allowed to use the power I could have had to power the powerless against the powerful in this power-filled world

I wish to be like you, living in the bosom of your mama, kissed on the forehead by your papa, pat on the back by your brother, pampered with goodies by your sister……
I wish to be like you, but I wasn’t given the chance by MaMa 😭😭😭😭

THANKS
I REMAIN
JAHISMINE O.